Woman's Face Catches Fire At Okaloosa Medical Center During Routine Outpatient Process

A woman, Kim Grice, had her face catch fire during a routine procedure to remove a cyst at the Okaloosa Medical Center in North Florida. The flash fire event erupted in the surgery room of the facility while Grice was having her outpatient procedure and the fire was limited to her face.

The patient’s mother can’t understand what happened. "I am in shock,” Ann Grice told the Crestview Bulletin. “This is not what happens with a routine outpatient surgery."

"She had headaches and the doctor was going to remove three cysts and biopsy them but something went bad wrong and my daughter is now in a burn unit with burn specialists and I still do not know what happened. No one will tell me why or how this happened to her."

Grice had to be evacuated to a trauma burn center in Alabama after Crestview firefighters responded to the surgical flash fire on Tuesday morning, said Battalion Chief Marquis Johnson.

So far hospital officials have not indicated how this could have happened but put out a press release that said, “We are conducting a thorough review to fully understand what happened in a deliberate effort to prevent such an event from occurring again."

Related Articles